Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Yakko and Hello Nurse -- Best. Animaniacs. Cel. Ever.

Okay, maybe it's not the best Animaniacs animation cel ever.  But it's definitely one of the prizes of my limited collection.   The cel comes from the unedited version of "King Yakko."  While Yakko, as ruler of Anvilania, cuddled up to Prime Minister Hello Nurse throughout this half hour episode, the close encounter pictured in this particular cel set-up did not make it into the final broadcast version of the show.   



Thanks to Dave Marshall, who co-directed the episode with Alfred Gimeno, for not only saving this cell from the retake dustbin, but for framing it and sending it to me.  It hangs in a prominent location on my office wall.   Let the anvils ring! 

22 comments:

  1. Proof positive (if any were needed) that Animaiacs!, like youth, is wasted on kids. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, Yakko, you sly devil, you. Let the anvils ring indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's my next message board avatar.

    Do you still have all the deleted scenes? It's too bad WB didn't want them for the DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta wonder what the artist at Wang was thinking when he drew this. Maybe he thought the scene was supposed to be like that... or he had other things on his mind beyond his work...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Dave Marshall, the co-director and supervisor at Wang at that time, wanted to push the envelope. See how far the show might be willing to go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely cel you've got there, Tom!
    I happen to have a taping of this episode on VHS and the version in the official DVD set.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heh, even if it didn't get into the final version, I bet Yakko liked it! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, about this cel - did the censors care or did this cause chaos like the Last Days of Rome?

    And, indeed - very nice cel! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. the censors never saw the cell...the film was edited before we delivered the final cut.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Baahahaha! Yakko is living the dream of many, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw this in an image search while I was looking for a reference pic of Ralph and had to find out if this pic I saw was genuine or fanart! I knew Animaniacs was pretty adult for a kid's show, but I didn't think they ever went THIS far!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This image never made it to broadcast.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good thing because if it did, Animaniacs would've been taken off even sooner than you think!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mwah! Goodnight, everybody indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OH GOSH NO... I agree with you Jasobres.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Yakko. x3 He and Wakko are my cartoon crushes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ah the glorious days of subtle spicy humor, how I miss them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This would look great on Blu-ray. Not just this scene, the whole series.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Whoever made this cel is a total pervert!

    ReplyDelete