Friday, December 7, 2012

Editorial Cartoons -- The Bulldog's Bark -- Metuchen High -- Spring/Summer 1972


The Metuchen High School musical in the spring of 1972 was The Man of La Mancha, starring Kevin Campbell, Emily Schlein and Danny Segal.   For the school newspaper, I decided to plug the musical and do my editorial cartoonist thing at the same time.  




By the end of May, graduation was looming, and the two likeliest prospects for post-high school education were college or Viet Nam.




Below, my last editorial cartoon for The Bulldog's Bark, June 16, 1972.  I'd been a friend and classmate of Bulldog's Bark Editor-in-Chief Larry Goldman since first grade.  This was his final edition as well.   Larry gave me some extra room on the page for this last cartoon, so I went with multiple panels. 




I saw Larry and a bunch of  my Metuchen High School classmates a few weeks ago at our class reunion.  What an awesome group!  What incredible individuals!   

And Larry brought along every edition of the Bulldog's Bark... things I hadn't seen in decades.  ( I think Larry has the only copies of some of those!)    




2 comments:

  1. Tom Ruegger,

    Seeing the references from the Vietnam war in one of your cartoons from your high-school years, it makes seeming that I'm listening on my mind, the song Blowin' in the wind, recorded by Bob Dylan for Columbia Records (Sony BMG) in 1966.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tom,
    I didn't know you also did some editorial cartoons....thanks for sharing, I love it!
    -Jeff Gordon

    ReplyDelete